Re: Database cursors

From: Wolfgang Keller <wk_at_objectarchitects.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 21:16:28 +0100

ooops ... also can't follow. Objectstore (up to what I know - no guarantee) is a page server - that means object are arranged on pages that are loaded as a whole ..

So .. if you have touched all the objects to get a result set (e.g. if you have evaluated criteria in a query), you will have everything in cache anyway (except if the result set is so big, that the cache will swap). The only situation when this should not happen is if you got the result record numbers from an external index structure like a prefix tree ...

So what's the deal about implementing a cursor .. which is usually implemented on a database
server for performance reasons so that you don't have to move everything to a client..
In your case you can simply traverse the result set - that should be it

I really don't get the point of implementing a cursor

But let me knwo, if I'm wrong

Cheers

Wolfgang

Oliver Vidovic wrote:

> Hi.
> Does anyone know how to implement database cursoring in object
> databases? Any resources available? I did a search and could not find
> anything.
> I am using ObjectStore Java and have to implement 'paging' through
> results of a search (similar to Google's search results paging).
>
> --
>
> Thanks.
> oliver
>
> (reply: read email address for instructions)

EMail: wk_at_objectarchitects.de
Web:   http://www.objectarchitects.de/ObjectArchitects/