Re: hierarchical database and normalization

From: Mark Greene <greenemj_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 23:47:40 GMT

In article <8p98fd$t8k$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Joe Celko <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

> >> However, this looks like way too much of a kludge, and in trying to
> determine a "better way", ... <<
[snip lot o' really cool examples and theory which I shall print and reread (several times, most likely)]

Hmmm... not quite equivalent. The db I'm doing is from my coin collection, and I'm using the defacto cataloging method for the hobby:

Country
Denomination
Series
Type
Variety
Year
Variation

In doing the normalization, I already am aware that I was most likely too biased by the referential integrity requirements (i.e. no "shillings" for the USA, no "quarter dollars" for the UK; no USA silver dollars minted 1910-1920; etc.). However, there's not the movement of sub-trees the way you described in your example (thank g*d).

Consequentially, I'm going to have to dig through your post to see how much of it I can apply (and particularly within the Sybase SQLAnywhere server I'm using).

--
Mark
Burning our skins to be renewed, but never hiding the charred look as

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.