Re: Keeping old revisions of data?

From: David Cressey <david_at_dcressey.com>
Date: 2000/07/14

Dave,

There are two widely used models for the design of a relational database: the OLTP model and the data warehouse model. OLTP systems tend to obliterate their history in the interest of speed and compactness.

Data warehouses tend to accumulated data over time, including, sometimes, historical values of present rows.

Take a look at a good reference on data warehousing to see how they cope with records that change.