Re: Separate tables?

From: p.forestall <forestall_at_sprint.ca>
Date: 2000/07/04

Terry:

Suggest you pick up a copy of "The Data Model Resource Book" by Silverstone, Inmon & Graziano. They give a good generic address model which I have adapted with success.

The generic approach was painful for my programmers at first. It's more complicated than the typical approach of separate address attributes for billing, shipping, mailing, etc. However, each subsequent requirement for an address is pure reuse.

Phil Forestall
<terry_at_smallblueworld.com> wrote in message news:8jsdt8$7ql$1_at_news.netmar.com...

> Hi All
>
> This is probably a very common question, but here goes. I have several
> tables all of which model concepts that require one or more addresses i.e.
> Customer, Supplier etc. If I create a single address table I have to have
> foreign key column for every adressee, but if instead I have a separate
> address table for CustomersAddress, SupplierAddress etcthem I'm
 duplicating
> the address model.
>
> Is there a better approach?
>
> Regards
>
> Terry Child

> ----- http://newsone.net/ -- Discussions on every subject. -----
> NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
> made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email
abuse_at_newsone.net Received on Tue Jul 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message