Re: processing time/memory space

From: <MSherrill_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 2000/06/27

On 27 Jun 2000 02:19:15 GMT, HanJeong Lee <stststst_at_soback.kornet.nm.kr> wrote:

[I'm not sure I'm interpreting your English correctly. This is not a criticism.]

> 1. in real world computing
> which type of resource should be used more
> extensively?
>
> processing element? or
> memory space?

By "processing element", do you mean processor time or CPU time? Normalization reduces space by reducing or eliminating duplicated data. But it takes time to flatten the tables for reporting.

> 2. which application favors normalization?
> which application favors de-normalization?

Denormalization: data warehouse

Normalization: almost all others, even if you're writing a game and don't use a relational dbms at all

> 3.would you assign directions to
>
> processing
> memory
> communication?

I can't even make a good guess at what you're asking here. Sorry. Can you try again?

> 4.what are
> way
> truth
> life?

That would be either C, SQL, or Jesus, depending on your point of view.

--
Mike Sherrill
Information Management Systems