Re: Identity Column Benefits

From: Joe Celko <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 2000/06/24

>> I've just taken over the management of a project and I'm a bit
concerned about one of the earlier design decisions that was made. We have quotations, stories, poems, etc... stored in a table called "Content". <<

I would not use SQL for this at all; get a textbase instead.

IDENTITY is not portable, not relational and the results are meaningless in that if you see a row with a number on it, how do you know that generated number is vlaid or not? If you want to go nuts, crate a table with a single column of IDENTITY and try to insert, update and delete with it.

--CELKO--
Joe Celko, SQL and Database Consultant
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc) which can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Jun 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message