Re: some design questions

From: Steven Tolleneer <steevke_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/06/23

Hi,

I hope this is the right group, if it isn't, I would appreciate a pointer to the correct group.

I have a database (Interbase 6) in which to store data regarding production, parts, employees, customers etc.

After wading through some books regarding relational databases, I'm fairly satisfied with the design I've come up with so far, except for one thing that I don't really know how to model.

I have a table "Customers" which stores info about the customer such as address, name, legal tax number, and so on. This customer receives the invoice. This table is linked 1-n to "Cust_Warehouses" in which I store information regarding the warehouses a particular customer has (address, phone of the warehouse etc.).

However, I also have "Contacts" which stores information about contacts (fairly obvious <grin>).

I would like to link the contact information to Customers (mandatory) and to Cust_Warehouses (optional).

Is this 'acceptable' or should I use two tables, Cust_Contacts and Cust_WareHouses_Contacts ?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or tips you'd like to share.

TIA Steven Tolleneer Received on Fri Jun 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message