Re: Choosing a database for a large amount of data

From: Mark Preston <mark_at_mpreston.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/06/18

First, forget about MS Access - for this much data, you need a 'real' RDBMS.
Second, forget about MS Access - for the web you need something net standard, small footprint and fast - consider Inprise InterBase. Third, forget about MS Excel - you limit your clients and your servers and you take extra time passing data around. Use standard SQL to get the results and drop them into a JavaBean to do the chart drawing directly for you.
Fourth, consider using pre-built queries (and pre-run ones) for the most common and least changing data. It will speed up overall response times. For the rest, use a 'waiting' page to show the user something is happening - it makes it seem as if things are moving faster.

--
Mark A Preston BSc, FIAP
The Magpie's Nest