A Simple Analysis?

From: Randy Yates <yates_at_207.87.184.178>
Date: 2000/05/27

Forgive me if this is a trivial question.

Assume the following example relations represent "all-time" relvar dependencies.

Case 1

A B C
0 0 0
0 1 1
1 0 1
1 1 0

This appears to be fully normalized.

Case 2

A B C
0 0 0
0 1 1
1 0 0
1 1 1

Not normalized: C is dependent only on B.

Case 3

A B C
0 0 0
0 1 1
1 0 2
1 1 2

??? Here it appears that A partitions all the possible values for C. What kind of dependency is here and how (if at all) should it be decomposed?

--
% Randy Yates                   % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
%% DIGITAL SOUND LABS           %             she does the things you do,