Re: How should I type my data- ZIP codes and States/Regions

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_shuswap.net>
Date: 2000/04/13

"Karl Hewlett" <fake_address_at_auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

>The rule of thumb I use is that only fields that have calculations performed
>on them are stored in any numeric format.

     That's about it for me, too. Let me emphasize *numeric* operations. I've done string manipulation operations on numeric strings. e.g. Phone numbers are numeric strings and best manipulated as such.

     In my experience, if it isn't used as a number, it's almost certainly better as a character string.

[snipped previous]

Sincerely,

Gene wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: