ATM Networks - CONGESTION CONTROL SCHEMES

From: Independent Academic Center <iactda_at_chmai.loxinfo.co.th>
Date: 2000/04/11

Dear Someone/Anyone – Help

I am authoring an undergraduate report and would like to find out as much as possible on network CONGESTION CONTROL SCHEMES for Available Bit Rate service for ATM networks. I’m interested in reactive congestion control concerning Backpressure (BP) and Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) control.

Presently, all I understand is the network is controlled by sending the signal back to the sources, if congestion occurred. I believe this action is taken in order to stop or decrease the cell rate that will be sent on to the network until congestion is lessen. A new signal will be sent to the source again to request a retransmission of the cells.

My problem is. I understand how the threshold value that tells us when the system is or is not congested. Also, the same is true, I don’t understand when the system understands that the network is less congested. I need to start with the basics of BP, ECN Control and their threshold values.

An additional assignment for me is to author a program to study the results of using both of the aforementioned concerns. I understand they are related to buffer sizes and queue lengths of each node and switch. Could I ask to have assistance in designing such a program that will give the results as the cell rates. I would like to compare these cell rates with the fair rate that I have allocated before. Hopefully, the final result of such a program will show the performance of the adaptive congestion control (BP and ECN Control)

Please advise me in any way of possible solutions to my report

Sincerely,

Tai