Network Management Database

From: Manuel Kampert <Manuel.Kampert_at_inka.de>
Date: 2000/04/05

Hi all,

I have just started in developing databases. Now I have the bad job to do a network documentation for our business and thougth this is a good idea to write all users with assigned IP addresses (we use static assignement) in to a database. So i started developing

	IPAdressRange(IPAddress, IPNameServerName, IPHardwareAddress)
	Hub(HubIPAddress, NumberOfPorts)
	Printer(PrtIPAddress, PrinterTyp, LocationNr)
	PC(PCIPAddress, UserID)
	User(UserID, LocationNr)
	Location(LocationNr, Location)

with the following relation:

IPAddressRange is_a Hub, Printer, PC (which are three 1:1

relationships)

-> now my first question: if i enter the same IPAdress for an
        Hub and for an Printer, i got no error from the DBMS

How can I add an relation between an hub and an connection between hubport, hub, user ?

Is the database developed in an acceptable way ? How would you develop the entitys and the relations ?

I would be very thankful for any comments of the above

Thanks and best Regards
  Manuel Kampert Received on Wed Apr 05 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message