Re: Hierarchical Relationship

From: <joe_celko_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/27

Sorry to be late in reply; I was in The netherlands at a conference

>> could you give me a good pointer? <<

Look under the ANSI website for the L8 committee if I remember correctly.

>> why should using fancy tricks be any better than using stored
functions? <<

The aggregates are designed to work on columns while the procedural function code is designed for row at a time execution. And the 4GL stuff like T-SQL are usually pretty dumb compilers -- one pass, direct code interpreters without optimizers.

>> i have to admit that some of your sql-tricks i saw so farm were
really astonishing - but this stuff completely contradicts the goal of maintainability as it's to difficult to understand for the average programmer in a reasonable amount of time. i wrote c programs a couple of years - i know these joys pretty well <<

I think most of my tricks are clear -- of course I worked with OS/JCL programmers who thought that thing was easy reading. I do have a big gripe about that fact that people do not comment SQL code like they would procedural code.

--CELKO-- Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Mar 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message