Re: SQL-based search engine

From: Tore Aursand <tore_at_extend.no>
Date: 2000/02/26

In article <38B699C5.373D24BD_at_elbanet.co.at>, Heinz.Huber_at_elbanet.co.at says...

>> However, adding only one more keyword makes MySQL hang. Does
>> this sound like a bug, or does adding another keyword make
>> the query much more complex for the SQL engine?

> AFAIK, the IN should be translated to ORs by the engine. If you have
> troubles using IN, you could consider using the OR yourself (don't
> forget parentheses though). If that still poses a problem, try the query
> below.

Hmm. I've tried both IN and splitting the query into OR's, but MySQL still locks up when dealing with that specific query.

The problems - as I see it - is that MySQL got a bug here (most probably not, I guess), or that there is an error in one of the tables, possibly tblArticle.

Splitting the query into two seperate queries did work, though, but I guess it ain't as fast as putting everything into one query.

> I've also come up with an alternative query which uses an index on
> tblKeyword.Keyword alone (this way more of the keyword fits into the
> [...]

The MySQL version I'm using doesn't support nested queries (ie. sub-selects), so it won't get me anyway. Next version of MySQL will, however, support nested queries.

Thanks for all help!

--
Tore Aursand - tore_at_extend.no - http://www.extend.no/~tore/