Many to Many table question

From: Kyle Lahnakoski <kyle_at_arcavia.com>
Date: 2000/02/15

I have designed a very special type of table. Right now I call them "space tables" but name seems misleading and generic.

Space tables have a table schema consisting of 2 tuples. The first is always a simple, single element, tuple. The second has n elements. Both tuples have a unique constraint on them; no tuple with the same set of values is allowed.

This type of table is used to establish a bijection between a 1 dimensional space and an n dimensional space. Any set of these tables all map the same 1 dimensional space to their respective n dimensional spaces. The word dimension only refers to the topological definition of dimension. There is no requirement for the domain of a dimension to have order.

Here are some examples. Please forgive the nomenclature.

Space_Table_A {
	Spc1_Dim1 (FK)
	Spc2_Dim1 (FK)
	Spc2_Dim2 (FK)
	Spc2_Dim3 (FK)

	CONSTRAINT UNIQUE (Spc1_Dim1);
	CONSTRAINT UNIQUE (Spc2_Dim1, Spc2_Dim2, Spc2_Dim3);

}
Space_Table_B {
	Spc1_Dim1 (FK)
	Spc3_Dim1 (FK)

	CONSTRAINT UNIQUE (Spc1_Dim1);
	CONSTRAINT UNIQUE (Spc3_Dim1);

}

Using these two tables, and the fact that Spc1 is common between them, we can set up a bijection between Spc2 and Spc3.

Kyle Lahnakoski                                  Arcavia Software Ltd.
(416) 892-7784                                 http://www.arcavia.com