Re: Russian Hackers Offer Databases

From: S. Whitmore <rattlesnake_at_uninova.zzn.com>
Date: 2000/02/10

On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 09:57:16 +0100, Ruud de Koter <ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com> wrote:
>I would (and do!) worry about this. The essence of privacy is not whether data
>are up-to-date, it is that there are data! If you
>think about it, people selling a false image of you (or of me, for
>that matter) might be more annoying than those that sell the right
>data.

Interesting point... I could agree for a photo, but I don't think I would necessarily agree for address and telephone data. The incorrect data is "chaff" that can waste the resources of anyone whom I will probably not want to hear from anyway, whereas those I *do* want to hear from will have the accurate data because they get it from me.

Well, this is getting farther afield for the newsgroups in which it appears, and it started with spam anyway, so I'll set follow-ups to something more appropriate. :-)

--
S. { rattlesnake_at_uninova.zzn.com }
Are you trying to make money online without accepting credit cards?