Enforcing Business Rules

From: Barnel Saintilma <bt974_at_ncf.ca>
Date: 2000/01/29

I have a question and/or I would like to get your comments regarding a misunderstanding I am having with a colleague from work of mine.

The misunderstanding is the following. Is a database application better off using its application (front end) to enforce business rules or using the database (back end). In other words does the database support the application? or does the application support the database? Thing really get ugly when you are trying to develop a business application where you find the D.B.A. and the lead developer (who is also leading the entire project) sitting at the same table arguing who's got the best solution to a problem.

What I would like to know is being that both statement can be true depending on your situation how do you strike a happy medium between the two?

From a D.B.A. who is trying to make peace with (or break into pieces) his fellow developers.

--

"Each One Teach One" Daniel L. Payne

"Good things happen to those who hustle." Chuck Noll