Re: MS-SQL vs. LASSO vs. CGI-PERL

From: M.Vaughn <mwvaugh-spamblows_at_life.uiuc.edu>
Date: 2000/01/25

In article <RS6j4.8735$U5.455936_at_typhoon.nyroc.rr.com>, "Barr Terry" <barr_at_dtcs.com> wrote:

> Please bear with my lack of knowledge, I'll try to sound like I know
> something.

Don't. Just be honest.

> Sorry if I "cross posted???" too much (I've been scolded before, but I still
> don't get it).

Dig into the Usenet FAQ found somewhere out there on the web for a definition.

> Please DO NOT respond if you work for (or have an interest in) Microsoft,
> Macintosh, Blue World Communications or other biased vendor.

So, who do you want to respond here? Mrs. O'Leary's kindergarten class?

> My MAC/Apple proponent of a partner wants to use LASSO to drive our internet
> database.

That's because it's a good solution, even if the "MAC/Apple" guy suggested it.

> This requires a hosting company with Lasso installed, as we do not
> have our own web server yet. We lease space on both UNIX and NT web servers.
>
> I think that perhaps MS-SQL is a better choice. Reason being is that I don't
> know enough about Lasso. I have created a number of CGI databases that work
> fine, but they are kind of a pain to program quickly. I have alot of
> experience with Access databases.

So because you don't know much about Lasso, the MS-SQL solution is a better choice? What if all you knew was FoxPro or the Clarisworks database? Would those be better than Lasso? Perhaps, you might want to poke around outside the software that came installed with NT and see what all is out there. Why don't you mosey on over to Blueworld and look over their info on Lasso? If you're an expert with Access, you should be able to compare and contrast the benefits and advantages of each solution. Maybe Access WILL win, but it shouldn't be because you don't know anything about the other solutions.

Also, speaking of SQL, you know you can run SQL stuff on UNIX, too? It really doesn't require MS SQL Server as it's an open standard that's been well implemented on all major UNIX platforms.

> Our projected requirement is 500-1000 users per day, say 25 - 50 concurrent
> users. We estimate the database to be about 10 meg. We will be using some
> kind of software such as InterDev or Lasso Studio to help get the initial
> code started.

Lasso will handle the task nicely.

> All suggestions will be appreciated.

Do your own, personal research. Received on Tue Jan 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message