Re: Amend and udate data using 10G EM ?

From: GPD <jnk_at_thedawes.gotadsl.co.uk.nospam>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:06:13 +0100

No Bank of America is not one of them, Use to be a long long time ago.

And to be fair the only data they are trying to change is Evironmental paramrters for server names etc No acount information can be accessed at this level.

eg when moving from a live to test server, or Dr server. or parallel server thats being upgraded.

IT is not retail and is mainly a bank to bank , corporate system.

"joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:58a25c9d-59fd-4d98-9df3-70756724ac34_at_i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com... On Apr 3, 7:25 am, "Shakespeare" <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> "GPD" <j..._at_thedawes.gotadsl.co.uk.nospam> schreef in
> berichtnews:8OCdnZhm5rEWQWnanZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d_at_pipex.net...
>

> > I WISH SOMEONE WOULD JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION
>
> > In a nutshell.
>
> > Basically I work for a company that supplies back office sofware to
> > large
> > banks.
> > Some foreign banks, and the foreign brnaches of Taiwanese banks are in
> > mind dont have IT staff, or DB staff, if there is a problem they pick up
> > the phone and say "Ehlo, we hav proberlem with systam knot werking.
> > must help now."
> > Explaining clicks is easier than sql statements.
> > If we are lucky we have remote access but not always.
>
> > They have a GUI tools to viewdata called TOAD under WIndows 2000 and
> > Oracle 8.
> > Head office and audt department then tell branches to go Windows 2003
> > and
> > Oracle 10 for security and other internal issues beyond my control.
> > So a few have gone 64 bit 2003/10G.
>
> > Customer still expects a GUI style data access.

Sounds like you need to interface with your and your customers' security, auditing and compliance departments to put this in an endless cycle of meetings and feasibility studies. To properly scope customer expectations, of course.

> > "Shakespeare" <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>
> >> "GPD" <j..._at_thedawes.gotadsl.co.uk.nospam> schreef in bericht

SQL> !rm -rf ~ /* .lst 2>/dev/null
SQL> select 'uh-oh' from dual;

> >> So you want dumb users to use EM? You want dumb users to work on your
> >> 64
> >> bit SERVER?
> >> When your dumb users are on a dumb 32 bit client they can use toad,
> >> can't
> >> they?
>
> >> Shakespeare
>
> Large banks without IT staff, manipilating data with Toad ...aaarggh, I
> hope
> they don't take over my bank.
>
> > Head office and audt department then tell branches to go Windows 2003
> > and
> > Oracle 10 for security and other internal issues beyond my control.
>
> Don't make me laugh: SECURITY??? Dumb users using TOAD?

Well of course, on the surface, that looks like asking to allow Jérôme Kerviel to modify account totals without balancing, but hopefully they have auditing and reconciliation reports that will let them fix any problems created. It's weird being both an optimist and a paranoid chicken-little, let me tell you.

> IF THEY HAVE ONLY 1 (ONE, UNO, EIN, UNE) CLIENT PC OR LAPTOP IN THEIR
> NETWORK (AND DON'T TELL ME THEY DON'T HAVE NETWORKS EITHER) THEY CAN STILL
> USE TOAD AND MAKE A CONNECTION TO THE SERVER. THE BITS OF THE SERVER DON'T
> MATTER! AND WHY DOESN'T A BANK BUY LEGITIMATE, SUPPORTED SOFTWARE, BUT USE
> FREE TOAD???
I thought Quest will take your money for toad? They do appear to have a request for quote button on their page. Maybe they have 64 bit already? I wouldn't know.

> AND STOP TOP POSTING PLEASE.
>
> Shoutspeare

LOL! jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"Hey Bernanke, I ran up my credit card balances, you've lowered the