Patience for a Oracle Noobie

From: Chad <chaddokmanovich_at_comcast.netnet>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:02:43 -0400

Hi, I am a SQL Server programmer using Oracle for the first time.

In our .NET client apps which use a SQL Server back end, we would use Stored Procedure exclusively for all database access for increased security as well as the pre-compiled advantage.

To minimize trips to the db server, we would often call SPs that return more than one recordset. For example:

CREATE Stored Procedure HelloWorld As
BEGIN
    SELECT * FROM HELLO
    SELECT * FROM WORLD
END Using ADO.NET, the results would be returned as 2 tables within a dataset object.

We are using Oracle 10g with version 10.2 ODP.NET (data provider) on the client. Is there a *PRODUCTION* version of software available which allows me to do this simple task?

If Multiple returned Recordsets are not an option in Oracle SPs, can someone please show me the latest and greatest (excluding beta software) for writing a baby Oracle SP to return a query result for use by a client app? I am found one example that utilizes TYPEs and CURSORs and it looks ugly as hell and surprisingly complicated for what it is doing and involves looping through a cursor and populating what looks like an array of TYPES which are defined as output params. Please tell me that there is a better way of doing this in Oracle.

We could construct the query as a string on the client but I would really like to put the DB access in the database as compiled queries.

It would be great if someone could write the Oracle equivalent of the 5 line SQL Server proc above for me, it would help a lot. If two returned queries is too much for it, a one query example would still be useful.

Thanks Received on Sat May 13 2006 - 06:02:43 CEST

Original text of this message