Re: Not a group by expression

From: pixelmeow <GMUESSJDRYND_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 12:10:12 -0400

"MM" <milica.mihac_at_ck.htnet.hr> wrote, Wed 11 May 2005 12:29:19 +0200, in comp.databases.oracle:

>Hello users. I have a query that I can run and see the result on the grid on
>design time, but when i run the program i get the folowing
>message:ORA-00979: not a GROUP BY expression. When I run the same query with
>out parameters it runs and it was runing well before in Oracle 8.Also If I
>don't use the GROUP BY function but with the parameter, it works also well
>?What is the problem? The query is:
>
>select t1.id,t2.nad, max(t2.name) as name
>from c02 t1, d00 t2
>where t1.id = t2.id
>and t1.date1 >= :pDate1
>group by t2.nad, t2.id <-- is this supposed to be t1.id?

From Oracle's website: http://tinyurl.com/78fgq

ORA-00979 not a GROUP BY expression

    Cause: The GROUP BY clause does not contain all the expressions in the SELECT clause. SELECT expressions that are not included in a group function, such as AVG, COUNT, MAX, MIN, SUM, STDDEV, or VARIANCE, must be listed in the GROUP BY clause.

    Action: Include in the GROUP BY clause all SELECT expressions that are not group function arguments.

HTH,

--
Teresa Robinson
Staff Programmer Analyst