Re: Migrating Oracle from AIX to W2K3

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_YerBootsyahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 17:41:40 -0400

Søren Alexandersen wrote:

> I have some specific questions on migrating a Oracle 8.1.7 database from
> AIX to Windows.

> I have understood that I cannot simply copy the db-files and start up the
> db on the windows machine. I guess that would have been too easy, huh :-)
>
> Well.. I get the idea about using export/import for the data part, but..
>
> What about the table definitions ? Could I somehow on my AIX-oracle
> generate a script, that could create the tables on my windows-oracle ?

That's basically what export/import does for you. It moves all the data, including tables, triggers, views, constraints, indicies, grants, roles, etc. Why re-invent the wheel?

Now, you do have to install the software, create a database and create tablespaces. But imp does just about everything else.

The nice thing about the exp/imp process is that you don't have to take your current production system down to build and test the new instance.

> What else would I need to consider before doing this migration.

Whether you should stick with 8.1.7 or upgrade as part of the migration.   [hint: you should upgrade] And if you're upgrading, whether to go to 9.2 or 10g. Given that you're going to invest several to many hours on this, it seems silly to stay on a version that has been de-supported.

> P.S. Please, do not begin to discuss *nix vs. windows religion here.
> The decision has been made... just need to know what I am about to dive
> into :-)

I'm agnostic. But fortunately, so is Oracle (more or less). The Export .dmp files created on one OS are (purportedly) compatible with any other OS.

I went through a WNT/8.1 -> W2k3/9.2 upgrade via exp/imp a while back and left some notes behind on c.d.o.s.
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z2F035C0B> If your target version is 9.2, everything I said should apply and it shouldn't matter that your export file came from AIX.

DISCLAIMER: I'm far from an expert here, but that has the advantage that my "recipe" is written for another newbie. Good luck.

--
//-Walt
//