tnsnames.ora

From: Miori <cattorayye_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:16:50 +0200

Dear all,
We use TCP/IP for our Oracle networking to the database server but I see 2 formats for specifying the definition of a connection string of a database in tnsnames.ora.

format 1:
testdb =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myhost)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = testdb)

)
)

format 2:
testdb =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(Host = myhost)(Port = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = test)

(GLOBAL_NAME = testdb.mydomain)

)
)

What is the difference between these 2 formats, is one for a certain Oracle DB version and the other for another version for example? I mean when to use which format or are both of them interchangable?

Many thanks for the replies,
Miori Received on Thu Apr 07 2005 - 16:16:50 CEST

Original text of this message