Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Darin McBride <dmcbride_at_naboo.to.org.no.spam.for.me>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:36:37 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

>> You can, if you wish, get support for a license.  That is annual, and
>> provides unlimited support calls.  Quite different from licensing.
>>
>> <heavy sigh>

> When the facts don't support a position it is not uncommon to have
> pseudofacts invented.

To be really fair, this is just nitpicking on the semantics. To most people, "licensing" really means "total cost payable to the vendor." If I must buy an annual support contract to ensure the product's success in my environment, that's the same thing, at the end of the day - money going from my company to Oracle, IBM, MS, CA, whatever.

Most of the thread arguing against Ingres has talked vaguely about a "total cost" of ownership - and the one time Michael has a valid point about the vendor portion of that TCO (which, of course, does not validate anything else he says), you go and nitpick his terminology.

Then again, perhaps it's not uncommon that when your opponent is generally making no sense, that you stop reading his posts objectively, and just assume that the whole argument is absurd, rather than just the individual (and overwhelming) portions of it that really are absurd? Received on Thu Oct 28 2004 - 14:36:37 CEST

Original text of this message