Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:49:49 -0700

michael newport wrote:

>>Linux, Apache and PHP are succesful because there is a strong developer
>>and user community. Ingres doesn't have this, and making something
>>OpenSource doesn't cause this community to automatically build.

> Linux, Apache and PHP did not start off successful. They grew.
>
> Ingres has existed for a long time, the base IS there
> comp.databases.ingres

The "base" is database developers not people that write kernel code in C. They will all die of old age before they figure out how to give the Ingres kernel capabilities that were in Oracle 8i.

>>Linux in particular benefited from the focus companies like Oracle, IBM
>>and others placed on it. The same level of focus is unlikely to happen
>>for Ingres.

> Companies focus on Linux because it is free. A huge advantage.

Nonsense. Absolute ignorant nonsense. I consult for a division of The Boeing company. The cost of an operating system compared to the total cost of an application is so small as to be invisible. Do you really think we are going to build a $15,000,000 system and worry about the lousy few hundred or few thousand dollars for the O/S?

We chose Linux because it gave us better performance, in lab tests with our application than did Win2K, WinXP, Solaris 2.9 and HP/UX 11i.

You really are out of touch with reality.

> Oh and by the way Ingres is also free.

Oh and by the way ... we really don't give a damn. And neither does anyone else.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington