Re: Question about commit

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:03:53 -0400

"Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns956745E1C17DDSunnySD_at_68.6.19.6...
| Markus Breuer <markus.breuer_at_gmx.de> wrote in
|
| > I have a question about oracle commit and transactions. Following
| > scenario:
| >
| > Process A performs a single sql-INSERT into a table and commits the
| > transaction. Then he informs process B (ipc) to read the new date.
|
| As strange as this may sound PRIOR to issuing the SELECT,
| Process B needs to issue a COMMIT.

That does sound strange... the only reason for this would be if B is in a read-only transaction... (see my other post).

Issuing a COMMIT to see other user's changes is never a requirement.

If B is in a read-only transaction, then a COMMIT or ROLLBACK should only be entered when the read-only transaction is completed (per the business functionality specification), not as a work around to a scenario that is not yet fully analyzed.

++ mcs Received on Fri Sep 17 2004 - 16:03:53 CEST

Original text of this message