Re: Error message on ODBC Connection

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Aug 2004 01:03:53 -0700

"GitarJake" <gitarjake_at_spammersuntied.com> wrote in message news:<55wPc.9155$pT5.8366_at_lakeread05>...
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to test an ODBC connection to an Oracle dbf using the ODBC Data
> Source Administrator. It's not working and I suspect I haven't configured
> Oracle correctly. Below is the error message I am getting:
>
> [DataDirect][ODBC Oracle Driver]Invalid attribute in connection string:
> Description.[DataDirect][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle]ORA-12514: TNS:listener
> could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor
>
> The connection string follows:
>
> CONNECTIONSTRING = "Driver={Microsoft ODBC for
> Oracle};Server=db.world;Uid=sa;Pwd=;"
>
> I can't find "lsnrctl status" on my server. This is 9i, does that count?
>
> I am very new to Oracle and I don't know where to go to fix this. Thanks
> for your time,
>
> Jake

Ora-12514:
There is an entry called db.world in your tnsnames.ora on the system running odbc. Following db.world's definition you will find a line reading
service_name = <.....>

The listener thinks there is no database with an init.ora parameter service_name = matching your tnsnames.ora entry.

If you don't have lsnrctl on the system serving the database (read carefully, not necessarily the system running ODBC) this would point to an installation problem.

Using lsnrctl status and optionally the init<sid>.ora for the database you are trying to connect to,you should be able to troubleshoot your problem.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA