Re: system tablespace

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2004 07:28:11 -0700

gecho <gecho_at_hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.07.10.02.27.33.733470_at_hawaii.rr.com>...
> New to oracle, but I'm coming from the sybase side.
>
> I took over one of our oracle production databases (1.5 Tb) while the
> regular dba is out. I got errors (unable to extend temp segment) for two
> user tablespaces which I took care of by adding a datafile to each. While
> reviewing the other tablespaces, I was surprised to see the system
> tablespace at 99%. I checked with app folks. No new
> objects were added accidentally to it. I panicked and resized the
> system tablespace by an additional 33%. Upon review, I forgot to notice
> that the system tablespace was set to autoextend. My question is this:
> even with the autoextend option set, is there a performance hit or crash
> potential by not resizing the system (or any other) tablespace before it
> hits 100%? On the sybase side, I take care of the logical devices before
> it reaches 85%.
>
> ~newbie appreciates any comments
> thanks,
> gecho

Gecho, by extending the system tablespace manually you eliminated the additional overhead that would have occurred when Oracle attempted to expand an object and then discovered that the file space necessary to hold the extent did not exist but could be obtained by expanding the file. Depending on what operation would have taken the extent that resulted in the file auto-extending this overhead may or may not have been noticable to the end user. But taking it early did not hurt and may have prevented a performance hit.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jul 12 2004 - 16:28:11 CEST

Original text of this message