Locking a Table Within an INSERT

From: Elliott <shevine_at_aol.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2004 13:10:39 -0700

I'm trying to perform this insert in a non-procedural environment:

INSERT INTO table
(column1,
 column2)
SELECT
 :col1value,
 MAX(column2) + :count
 FROM table
 WHERE column1 = :col1value
 ;

My problem is that two or more processes might be executing this statement concurrently. If so, they could get the same value for MAX(column2). But I want the second process to get the updated value for that aggregate that is set by the first process, and insert an incremented value based on THAT.

Is there a way I can write this statement so one instance locks out the second one? In my environment, one statement is all I'm allowed.

Thanks,
Elliott Received on Tue Jul 06 2004 - 22:10:39 CEST

Original text of this message