Re: User defined data elements

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 2 Jul 2004 06:56:09 -0700

joe.camilleri_at_eds.com (Joe C) wrote in message news:<6ab3c8fb.0407010529.545eac68_at_posting.google.com>...
> I'm working on an application where the user would like the capability
> of creating new data elements, enter a value, and store the
> information on a database for latter retrieval. I was thinking about
> storing the user defined data elements and values as an xml record on
> an Oracle 8i database; but, would like to know if anyone has
> implemented something similar and what approach was taken. Also, if
> stored as an xml record would there be a way to query the information
> using a Select statement ?

There are many vendor packages that allow local users to create additional columns in the db. The products normally do this by using already existing but spare varchar2 columns created on the underlying application tables and storeing information about these column uses in a product dictionary. The MAXIMO product is one such example.

Just another idea for you to consider.
-- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jul 02 2004 - 15:56:09 CEST

Original text of this message