Update rows when in other table

From: elziko <elziko_at_NOTSPAMMINGyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:51:32 +0100

I have two tables TAB_A and TAB_B. I want to update COL_1 in TAB_A to a certain value but only for rows where the value COL_2 in TAB_A is also found in COL_2 of TAB_B.

This is what I have but it seems to then set COL_1 of TAB_A to a NULL if its not found in TAB_B. In this case I just want to leave that row unchanged.

UPDATE tab_a
SET col_1 = 'NEWVALUE'
WHERE EXISTS (SELECT 1

                                FROM tab_a a, tab_b b