Re: Question on migrating from MSSQL temp tables and remote queries

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 01:31:40 GMT

"lev" <pelekhl_at_msn.com> wrote in message news:63dbca9c.0405240927.2fc3701e_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to migrate an MSSQL server application to Oracle. This
> application pulls in data from remote databases into temp tables and
> then does various joins of that data with local tables.
>
> There are two requirements: the temp tables cannot be permanent
> members of the schema and application has to be self sufficient in
> create database links - users cannot be asked for that.
>
> The only solution that comes to mind is to create database links via
> SQL, pull in the data, create the temp tables and then drop the
> created links and temp tables when they are no longer needed. But that
> seems inelegant. Is there a better way?
>
> Any info is much appreciated. Cheers, Lev.

Why are the requirements such? Do we have the tyranny of the requirement of a genuine business need? Describe the problems that you are trying to solve instead of how to implement a solution. There may be a better solution. Jim Received on Tue May 25 2004 - 03:31:40 CEST

Original text of this message