Re: Oracle Client Install

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 21:41:21 +0200

Matt wrote:

> Hi, we've got a database sitting behind a firewall running on port
> 1522. when I set up a tnsnames connection through the net8 assistant
> it all works fine, and tests are successful, but I can't tnsping the
> entry, connect through sqlplus etc.

OK - so you have no problems at all.

> I get the error TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

Huh? When? Where? You just said you had no problems?

> We think that it's ignoring the entry for port 1522 in the tnsnames
> and continuing to use the 1521 default - the firewall isn't open on
> 1521, so we can the traffic getting stopped.

No it's not - but the listener is just that, and will hand over to any free port for the actual connection. That's where your firewall gets in place.
Otoh, that's not the error you're getting.

Your client configuration is wrong. Wonder where you ran the net assistant.

Versions and platforms may help, too (e.g. with use_shared_socket)

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel