Re: copy a DB from PC1 to PC2

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 19:16:51 +0200

Caroline wrote:
> I want to export/import a DB from PC1 to PC2
>
> PC 1:
> -----
> SQL> select * from nls_database_parameters;
> PARAMETER VALUE
> NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P1
>
> PC 2: NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8
> -----
>
> An error occurs when importing the dump file:
> IMP-00016: required character set conversion (type 31 to 871) not supported
>
> I tried converting the character set at PC1:
> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8;
> ORA-12712: new character set must be a superset of old character set
>
> What to do?
> Is there a way to do the conversion anyway? (ie. when exporting ?)
> Changing the settings at PC2 to accept the character set of PC1 ?

Be warned: you may loose data - the least you probably will get is gibberish (malformed characters)
Having said that, I think the following should work: export PC1, make sure your environment has WE8ISO8859P1 for characterset. Export log should mention the used set. Import on PC2, making sure you have UTF8 set.

You want to import and export without any warnings "Character conversion possible" in either of the logs; that is neither the import log, nor the export log.
In this manner you will not be facing any conversion.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel