Multi-User Password Database (Password Storage)

From: Bright <brightwell_151_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 14 Apr 2004 06:55:21 -0700

Dear All

I'm after a multi-User password database so that I can centrally store system passwords and give granular access to individuals based on their own unique authentication (possibly a securID token).

I've been keeping a watchful eye for such a system but to no avail .... has anybody come across such a system? ... I'll be most grateful top hear about such a system!

The password databases that I've come across make _all_ passwords available to anyone who has access ... and the access to the database is authenticated by a single password.
To use such a system you can possibly have a database per function (unix admin, NT admin, network admin) with different passwords for each. But this means that some people may potentially have passwords to systems which aren't part of their responsibility and some people who perform multiple functions have to remember the password for more than one database. All a bit messy really

It doesn't strike me as being all that difficult to store the passwords in an Oracle (or similar) database - with access to the DB as a whole being authenticated on a per user basis (possibly SecurID) and with access to the individual passwords in the database being limited to specific users or groups of users (standard DB functionality).
I guess the Database would need to be encrypted (probably an internal function for the DB) and the network access to the system encrypted as well (possibly a Web based, SSL frontend).

If I were a developer I'd get cracking and do it, but sadly I'm not.

I hope someone out there knows of such a system (even something with a subset of the fucntionality would be a help)

Thanks Received on Wed Apr 14 2004 - 15:55:21 CEST

Original text of this message