Re: create table in a procedure

From: /motten <molsson_NO_SPAM_at_vip.cybercity.dk>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 23:46:29 +0200

> but, as indicated by other posters, DDL in a production application is
 rare
> in Oracle -- objects typically should all exist ahead of time, even
> 'temporary' tables (Oracle's concept is that the table is permanent, but
 the
> data is temporary -- set CREATE ... GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE)
>
> ;-{ mcs

I'm a "green" developer - meaning I'm pretty much fresh out of school (1 year).
I've been working with Oracle stuff for the past six months and am currently codesigning an Oracle-based system that needs to be able to store, process and
display data for an arbitirary (spelling?) number of surverys each consisting of a
number of questions (numbers / booleans)...

My idea is to do a "master" table containing the question "types" meaning the
text / label for the question plus a unique identifier. Then construct the actual survey
instances several rows per survery in another table containing references to the "master type"
and the actual values...
My colleague on the other hand wants to contruct new tables for each and every
survey which would then contain only the appropriate fields for that survery...

He claims his approach makes things simpler while I'm in the opinion, that the
dynamic sql required makes things harder...

I'd love some feedback on the above - just hope my (very simplified) explanation
makes any sense at all. I left out a bunch of details (tables etc) but I hope you
get the idea...

Cheers

Morten Received on Fri Apr 09 2004 - 23:46:29 CEST

Original text of this message