Mandrake Oracle 9i Installation Problems (netmgr, netca)

From: Si <simon.oldham_at_bcs.org.uk>
Date: 5 Apr 2004 07:21:59 -0700

Hi,

I am having trouble with an install of Oracle 9i Release 2 on Linux Mandrake 9.1. I have 512 MB DDR RAM and a Duron 850 CPU.

The install appeared to run fairly seamlessly except for a handful of problems :

  1. Oracle complained that it could not set the file permissions on four files. They were

/u01/app/oracle/jre/1.3.1/bin/.java_wrapper
/u01/app/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/.java_wrapper
/u01/app/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/i686/green_threads/.extract_args
/u01/app/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/i686/native_threads/.extract_args

None of the four files were present and so I created empty files to force the installation to continue (was this the seed of my downfall?).

2) During the linking stage, Oracle reported the following error :

"Error in invoking target install of makefile [whatever the path was]/ins_ctx.mk"

I fixed this by adding "${LDLIBFLAG} dl" to the line in the "$ORACLE_HOME/ctx/lib/env_ctx.mk" that began "INSO_LINK=". (I got that solution off the web)

The installation and linking completed successfully. However, when the installer tried to start the four services that it does at the end of the installation, three of them failed :

  1. Oracle Net Configuration Assistant appeared as "cancelled".
  2. Agent Configuration Assistant appeared as "cancelled".
  3. The HTTP server came up with the error :

"Configuration tool Starting HTTP Server failed Syntax error on line 92 of
/home/oracle/OraHome1/sqlplus/admin/isqlplus.conf:
FastCgiServer: redefinition of a previously defined FastCGI server "/home/oracle/OraHome1/bin/isqlplus"
/home/oracle/OraHome1/Apache/Apache/bin/apachectl startssl: httpd
could not be started"

Nevertheless, I completed the installation to see if I could run the failed tools from the command line and determine what was wrong. I have tried runing netmgr, netca, oidadmin and in evry case they just return to the command prompt without, apparently, doing anything. I had a look at the netmgr code (shell script) and at the bottom it executes the java VM on a particular file. However, the Java VM is stored in the variable $JRE. I tried installing the Sun JRE 1.4.2 and altering $JRE to "java" in the netmgr file. I then executed netmgr again and it appeared to be doing something (albeit without output) when it crashed with a Java Exception (see link below).

I am guessing that the Java VM is at the root of my problems but I do not have the knowledge to confidently take this investigation any further without trashing what could possibly be a salvagable install.

Incidentally, although Mandrake is an unusual platform to install Oracle on, I have successfully done it before but this time I have a freshly installed OS and so perhaps there are parts of the OS not installed now that were present the last time I did this (mind you, it was a nightmare that time as well :-) ).

I have posted the full log file at :
www.sicom-systems.co.uk/oracle_probs/installActions2004-04-05_06-03-02PM.log.gz

and the java exception details at :
http://www.sicom-systems.co.uk/oracle_probs/java_exception_details

Thanks in advance for your help,

Simon Oldham
<simon.oldham_at_sicom-systems.co.uk> Received on Mon Apr 05 2004 - 16:21:59 CEST

Original text of this message