Re: HA Clustering with RAC

From: Ulf <Ulf.Pralle_at_web.de>
Date: 19 Mar 2004 07:20:01 -0800

> Hallo Ulf,
>
> you might start your thesis with getting the definitions of
> failover/takeover/high availability etc. straight. As you are going to
> consider clusters in general plus software of different vendors you
> are likely to experience that some terms are used differently
> depending on who uses them. High availability as defined by IBM does
> not mean that there is no downtime. The IBM docs state expressively
> that HACMP is not the adequate solution if you cannot afford having
> downtime. I.e. you might use a HACMP cluster for credit card
> processing (and there may be some minutes when no cards are being
> processed) but it is not suitable for running a nuclear power plant.
> Take a look at the IBM redbook site http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/ There
> is a huge number of pdf docs available (at no cost) that will tell
> you a lot of what you need to know about IBM HACMP.
>
> Just my 5 cent.
> HTH,
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,
thanx a lot.But I didn't get it.If you are creating a cluster, does the cluster always need a special software for clustering? Or is Oracle without a special software able to create and handle a cluster? I think that is no possibility creating a cluster without soecial software like HACMP or Veritus....isn't it?

Bye Received on Fri Mar 19 2004 - 16:20:01 CET

Original text of this message