Re: Multi Threaded server not working for many inserts?

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Mar 2004 07:21:10 -0800

"Royco" <bla_at_bla.nl> wrote in message news:<c2s5do$m2m$1_at_azure.qinip.net>...
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the cross-posting but I am not sure which newsgroup to use.
> We have the following configuration
> Oracle 8.1.7.3.0 running on VMS, 2 database-instances and on both instances
> Multi Threaded Server is configured.
>
> There is a databaselink defined from instance B to instance A and we defined
> a synonym for tableA in instance B
> We log-on to instance B.
>
> Now we want to do the following (from SQLPLUS).
>
> insert into tableA (on instance A) select field1, field2, field3 from tableB
> (on instance B)
>

> It looks that when the select only returns 1 row the insert into the other
> instance works.
> But when the selects returns more rows the insert will hang. No error is
> reported back from Oracle.
>
> The only thing we can do is let our DBA 'kill' the underlying proces.
>
> Are there any known bugs and workarounds in Multi Threaded Server
> configurations which indicate problems with large inserts????
>

> Please help (google didn't give me any answers)
> Roy

Why use MTS for a database link? Looks like a bad idea to me. Just set up an appropiate tnsnames.ora entry on the server a to b adding (server=dedicated) after (service_name=) or (sid=) and retry.

Just for the next time
comp.databases.oracle has split up 4 or 5 years ago, and isn't carried by many providers
comp.databases.oracle.server is for anything that comes on the server cd
comp.databases.oracle.tools is for other *Oracle developer* products comp.databases.oracle.misc is for 3rd-party products.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Mar 12 2004 - 16:21:10 CET

Original text of this message