Re: SQL*PLUS Tip: Reading other user's tables from SYSDBA/SYSOPER account

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:36:10 -0500

"James Attard" <james_attard_at_ieee.org> wrote in message news:6656a825.0403110141.333ea6d3_at_posting.google.com...
| A sysdba account has access to all users tables within a database. I'd
| like to know the syntax to be able to query tables of other users
| other than system tables.
|
| Let's take for example we have a database called "ACME" and there's
| user "John" who has tables "Accounts" and "Health". How can user "sys"
| or "system" manager be able to query from those tables?
|
| connecting in this way: sqlplus sys/password_at_acme
|
| and then querying: "select * from Accounts" does not work...
|
| Of course this is important for database admins as an alternative for
| the Enterprise Manager...
|
| Thanks for any tips.

if there is no public or private synonym for the object (table, view, procedure, etc.) you must preface it with the object owner: ie: john.accounts

(make sure you spend some time with the oracle manuals -- start with concepts manual, sql manual, and pl/sql manual, and supplied pl/sql procedures)

be careful though with SYSDBA and SYS... in general, they should only be used when doing major maintenance (reconfiguration, upgrade) on the database

;-{ mcs Received on Thu Mar 11 2004 - 13:36:10 CET

Original text of this message