ORA-12571, ORA-03114 and other connection errors.

From: Paul Green <plg_at_imail.barton.ac.uk>
Date: 24 Feb 2004 05:47:30 -0800

What might cause the following behavior? We have a set of front-end programs accessing an Oracle database on the server.
Things work fine on our older computers and mostly OK on our new computers - except one particular program, after being used for a few minutes gives errors like ORA-12571, ORA-03114. This suggests the network is disconnected, but tnsping shows the Oracle DB is still there, and the other programs in the suite still work.

So, I think my question is, what sort of setup options on the new computer might cause this sort of thing to happen? The new computer has got Windows 2000 with service pack 4.

The fault is an intermittent one in the sense that how long it takes to happen seems to vary, but once it has happened, the program won't work at all until the program is closed and started again.

Any help very welcome!

Paul Green Received on Tue Feb 24 2004 - 14:47:30 CET

Original text of this message