Re: ASP programmer looking for Oracle 9i book to get started

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:19:57 GMT

dSchwartz wrote:
> I'm an ASP/ASP.NET/MS SQL server guy looking for a good book to start
> me off with Oracle 9i. I'm a computer science senior and have a web
> project for a local client coming up which will use Oracle 9i as the
> database. I'm looking for a book that will get me started with
> Oracle, but I don't need a total SQL beginners guide, I already write
> SQL for MS SQL server, but i don't know how different it will be for
> Oracle? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Two books to start:

O'Reilly: Oracle Essentials http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oressentials3/

and

APress: Expert One on One Oracle (by Thomas Kyte) ISBM: 1590592433 Plan on unlearning a whole bunch! The SQL is pretty similar, but the differences (eg: in the locking engine) require a completely different thought process in approaching a problem. If you try the same approach as you used with SQL Server you will [frequently] end up with a surprisingly slow solution that has between 2 and 5 times the code that you need.

The first book helps understand the general internals and is a fairly light read. It's useful in catching the new and overloaded terminology.   , thus making the actual documentation at http://docs.oracle.com understandable.

The second book actually starts you down the path of 'thinking in Oracle' - mandatory reading!

/Hans Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 06:19:57 CET

Original text of this message