Re: How to fill empty column with number sequence?

From: steve <me_at_me.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:54:58 +0800

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:11:25 +0800, Ken1 wrote (in article <3bb6578e.0402130011.75bd6b51_at_posting.google.com>):

> I am going to drop a primary key from one column and create a new
> column to be used as primary key in an existing database.
> The old column was a date column which someone earlier though was a
> good candidate for a primary key which we all know it's not.
>
> Now I want to add a new field, i.e. called ID, with a normal number
> sequence as primary key.
>
> I have dropped the primary key, created the new column, created the
> new sequence and created a trigger to generate the primary key for new
> inserts.
>
> But I don't know how to generate/update the new ID column with
> sequence numbers for the already existing records.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> /Kenneth

create a sequence.
when you add the new col to the table ,
 in the default value for the col , query the sequence.

this will add a new col with the values already installed.

then for future additions add a trigger. that calls the sequence whenever the table is inserted.

or you could be real lazy an just leave the default value in place. Received on Wed Feb 18 2004 - 22:54:58 CET

Original text of this message