Re: trigger puzzlement

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:40:14 GMT

Hi Mike,

Please post the exact ORA- error message next time.

I tried to recreate, and I got the error below, which I belive you got too. But it has nothing to do with locks.

ORA-01403: no data found
ORA-06512: ved "A.AUROW_GRID_CLONE", linje 6
ORA-04088: fejl under udf°relse af triggeren 'A.AUROW_GRID_CLONE'

Which means that your intitial check returns no row => no data found to put into v_exists => exception is raised. This is the expected behaviour.

What you need to do is to catch that exception and handle it appropriately. You could also make your check more readable (and even prettier), like this :

begin
select 1
  into dummy_var
 from test.t2
where trunc(last_date) = trunc(sysdate); --today and cmdy = :new.cmdy_sym;

  • No exception, There was exactly one row, do the update here exception when no_data_found then
    • there was no record for today, do the insert here. when too_many_rows then
    • Something went terribly wrong ! raise; end;
      • Kenneth Koenraadt