Re: extract numeric part from address

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 00:51:50 -0800

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:<uJudnZ-bbbCtl7TdRVn-jA_at_comcast.com>...
> Hello David,
>
> In case if number always located at the beginning of the filed and space
> delimited , you can use below:
>
> select substr(address, 1, instr(address,' ',1) ) from <table>;
>
> If not, then you can use PL/SQL to scrub the address.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ron
> DBA Infopower
> http://www.dbainfopower.com
> Standard disclaimer:
> http://www.dbainfopower.com/dbaip_advice_disclaimer.html
>

> "David Chang" <chang_dj_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to do some analysis on customer's locality, so I'd like to
> > extract numeric part from address.
> >
> > Here is how the table looks like
> >
> > Table Member
> >
> > first_name last_name address1 address2
> > state zip
> > ======= ======= =================== ===== === ===
> > Tom whatever 1200 Evelyn Ave, #121
> > CA 94102
> >
> > What I want to do is to write some sql to extract 1200 from Tom's
> address1.
> > Can any one give me some hint? Some sample code will be greatly
> appreciated
> > !!
> >
> > David

Due to the basic nature of the OP's request: please try to learn people how to fish, do not fish on their behalf. You are disclosing way too much. OP should *learn* sql, he should not be spoon fed.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Feb 11 2004 - 09:51:50 CET

Original text of this message