Re: Oracle Concepts Question

From: Ron <>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:47:50 -0800

"When a table has more than 255 columns, rows that have data after the 255th column are likely to be chained within the same block. This is called intra-block chaining. A chained row's pieces are chained together using the rowids of the pieces. With intra-block chaining, users receive all the data in the same block. If the row fits in the block, users do not see an effect in I/O performance, because no extra I/O operation is required to retrieve the rest of the row."

 Hope this answers the question.

DBA Infopower

Standard disclaimer: