Re: A Query about GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES in ORACLE

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2004 06:31:06 -0800

addverma_at_netscape.net (Amardeep Verma) wrote in message news:<45d3f402.0402040351.7a9bfb48_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I have a quick question. Which role/privileges are required before
> a user can give the statement "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES"?
>
> Thanking you in Advance
>
> Have a nice day

From the 9.2 SQL manual: >>
ALL [PRIVILEGES]
Specify ALL to grant all the privileges for the object that you have been granted with the GRANT OPTION. The user who owns the schema containing an object automatically has all privileges on the object with the GRANT OPTION. (The keyword PRIVILEGES is provided for semantic clarity and is optional.)
<<

So any object owner can grant all on object to someuser_or_role

And it would appear that a DBA can grant all privileges to a user or role:

I created a user named bob then I issued, "grant all privileges to bob"
Next I connected as Bob and queries user_sys_privs. I got 140 rows returned.

When I reconneted to my DBA id I queried dba_sys_privs for grantee = 'DBA' and got 138.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Feb 04 2004 - 15:31:06 CET

Original text of this message