Re: Handle count leak when connecting to Oracle via ODBC on Windows

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 27 Jan 2004 02:35:28 -0800

likong_at_email.com (Kong Li) wrote

> I have a simple program calling SQLDriverConnect (not OLEDB, not ADO,
> but ODBC) to an Oracle server 9.2, and then disconnect. The value of
> handle count increases by 2 each time I did the connect/disconnect.
> This has been verified on the above 3 environments. Turning on/off
> ODBC connection pooling does not change the handle count leakage.

If it works the same way on different versions, maybe then it works as designed. I would think that a handle counter cannot really "leak" in the same way as allocated handles leak memory when not properly freed...

> Is this a known problem? I did not try Oracle's own ODBC driver.

Is this the right forum to ask ODBC related questions? IMO not.

> Any pointers, ideas?

Try the question in a ODBC/Microsoft forum. Use a MSAccess or SQL-Server driver to determine if this is related to Oracle ODBC driver only. Read the ODBC API specification to determine exactly how the handle count works. Connect your app to the ODBC driver via an ODBC debugger (there used to be a great one in the ODBC DDK that shipped with DevNet in the 90's).

--
Billy