Re: Storing/retrieving BLOBs with JSPs

From: Michael Borgwardt <brazil_at_brazils-animeland.de>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:52:23 +0100

bigbinc wrote:

> This is cool stuff,

"Really idiotic" is the expression I'd use.

> Is there anyway to implement a sort of Network
> File System using Oracle using blobs. The question is, will this kill
> the oracle server?

If used even halfway intensively, yes.

> Will the performance being in better using File I/O for example using
> servlets?

Yes. A LOT better. Easily 100 times better. It's exactly the thing that modern file systems try so hard to prevent and CS teaches you to avoid like the plague: fragment big files into small chunks and scatter them all over the place so that the HD's latency completely dominates its transfer speed. Received on Thu Jan 08 2004 - 19:52:23 CET

Original text of this message