Re: Error in starting Oracle agent and ORA:01031 on SQLPLUS

From: Cherrish Vaidiyan <unbreakablematrix_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Jan 2004 02:47:19 -0800

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<3FF50A12.877B69D6_at_yahoo.net>...
> > CALM DOWN! Responses are provided by volunteers. Many of whom are
> taking a vacation because of New Year celebrations.
>
> Also, realize that that there are not that many who are running Oracle9i
> on Red Hat 9. And even fewer do replication or standby. A reminder -
> Red Hat 9 is not a certified or supported platform. Things can, and
> will, go wrong.
>
> From the description, you have a serious problem with your install - you
> should not be getting segmentation faults. You may want to check
> http://www.dizwell.com for a real detailed guide on installing Oracle9i
> 9.2 on Red Hat 9.
>
> After install, you may also want to look at the Oracle By Example (OBE)
> section of Oracle Tech Net (http://otn.oracle.com/obe/start/index.html)
> That provides detailed instructions on installing and doing things in
> the Windows environment. By carefully adjusting the OBE instructions,
> using the information in Howard's document, you should be able to move
> forward.

SIR,
I REQUEST YOUR PARDON FOR THOSE MY LINES.IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS I NEED OF IT BADLY.ORACLE DB IS WORKING PERFECTLY.AS I HAVE INSTALLED FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTION GIVEN IN THE OREILLY WEB SITE. ORACLE WAS WORKING WELL AND GOOD WHEN I HAD TO CHANGE MY SYSTEM'S HARD DISK TO A BIGGER 60GB HDD. SINCE I CAN INSTALL ORACLE BY JUST COPYING THE ORACLE FOLDER IN LINUX. I DID THAT. I CREATED THE GROUP AND USER TO RUN ORACLE. I SET THE KERNEL PARAMETERS.I STARTED WORKING ON IT. THEN DUE TO YEAR END I DIDNT USE MY PC FOR A WEEK. NOW WHEN I START ORACLE AGENT I GET ERROR. THE SECOND ERROR I HAD MENTIONED EARLIER WAS THAT I COULDNT LOGIN AS SYS,SYSTEM OR ANY OTHER USER. I WAS GETTING ERROR ORA-01031 INSUFFICIENT PRIVILEGES.
I CORRECTED IT BY DELETING THE EXISTING PASSWORD FILE AND RECREATED IT. NOW I CAN LOGIN AS SYS WITH SYSDBA PRIVILEGE. I CAN USE DB I HAD USED BEFORE... MY TENSION NOW IS WHAT ALL PROCESSES WILL BE AFFECTED BY ORACLE AGENT.?
CAN I CORRECT THE ERROR BY ANY MEANS....? OR SHOULD I NEED TO UNINTSALL ORACLE AND INSTALL IT AGAIN? EXPECTING REPLY,
CHERRISH VAIDIYAN Received on Fri Jan 02 2004 - 11:47:19 CET

Original text of this message